Weight Loss Program
A personalized medical approach to weight management
Maintaining a healthy weight for your body is one of the single most important things that you can do for your overall health. This is why the healthcare providers at Internet Medical Clinics™ are committed to helping patients achieve and maintain healthy weight goals throughout the lifespan.
Our Weight Loss Program
Each person's body weight is a result of many complex factors including genes, metabolism, environment, culture, lifestyle, and behaviors. For this reason our providers work individually with each patient to create a personalized weight loss clinic plan based on their unique needs. We include:
- Comprehensive and private medical evaluation to identify underlying causes of weight gain and determine the best treatment course available
- Integration of natural supplements with traditional diet and exercise treatment modalities
- Ongoing medical counseling and support from a qualified health professional
Weight and Your Health
As the second leading preventable cause of death, obesity is one of the most serious health problems our society is facing today. Being overweight or obese significantly raises ones risk for many diseases including heart disease, diabetes, cancer, hypertension,, stroke, liver disease, respiratory problems, arthritis, and infertility.
Are you overweight?
Medical professionals use a system called the Body Mass Index (BMI) to determine whether or not an individual is within a normal weight range for their height. People who maintain their weight within a normal BMI rage tend to live the longest and have the least amount of weight-related medical problems.
- Normal Weight = BMI of 18.5-24.9
- Overweight = BMI of 25-29.9
- Obese = BMI of 30 or greater
Use the chart below to determine your BMI using your height and weight measurements.
Identify underlying causes of weight gain
The first step in our weight loss program is to determine the cause of the weight gain. Internet Medical Clinics™ healthcare providers believe that there are 5 basic reasons why many people may be overweight. These include:
1. Excessive carbohydrate intake The single most important lifestyle modification that will help you to lose weight is minimizing carbohydrates in your diet. For most patients, avoiding carbohydrate-rich foods such as like bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, beans, sugar-sweetened foods (candy, fruit and baked goods) and sugary drinks (sodas, juices and sports drinks) is enough to lead to significant weight loss. Without carbohydrates in your diet to use as fuel source, your body instead burns fat. This simple modification leads to very efficient weight loss. Below we have provided you with several links to additional weight loss plans written by physicians who believe in a "low-carb" diet for weight loss:
2. Hormone imbalance Hormones have a very powerful effect on your metabolism and any imbalance can significantly impact your weight. The most common hormones which cause weight gain are:
- Thyroid hormones (both T3 and T4),
- Human Growth Hormone
Hormone testing should be considered in all patients who are overweight. If these evaluations along with medical history and physical examination demonstrate that a hormonal insufficiency is present, then treatment is generally indicated. However, it should also be noted that it is not enough to have hormone levels within a "normal range" according to lab values. Hormone levels should be optimized by a qualified healthcare professional for each patient based upon individual factors including age, gender, and other medical conditions.
3. Food allergies. Eating foods you are allergic to can lead to weight gain along with fatigue, nasal congestion, swelling, gastrointestinal discomfort, acne, problems with concentration and memory, and mood swings. Some of the most common food allergies are to yeast, dairy products, wheat and eggs. Elimination and rotation diets as well as allergy testing may be necessary for a patient to ensure success in his or her weight management.
4. Side effects from medication. Many medications have the side effect of weight gain. Some antidepressants, diabetic medications, and synthetic hormones such as those in birth control pill, injections and intra-uterine devices and menopause management medications can cause weight gain. Finding alternatives for these is essential for proper weight management in many patients. However, a medication should never be discontinued without proper evaluation by a medical professional.
5. Stress or depression. Many patients don't eat out of hunger, but rather as a coping response to emotional distress or depression. Internet Medical Clinics™ weight loss center offers both natural supplementation and medications to treat stress and emotional eating. Furthermore, we encourage treatment of the underlying emotional condition in order to ensure success in reaching ones weight loss management goals.